Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubus Intervention

Image

Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

By Damilare Adeleye

Governor Ademola Adeleke (Osun State Governor)

Governor Ademola Adeleke (Osun State Governor)

Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the legal action instituted against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s account.

Adeleke disclosed this on Sunday during an interview with Channels Television after being declared winner of the Osun State governorship election, saying the decision followed President Bola Tinubu’s personal intervention in the matter.

The governor said he was no longer interested in pursuing the case against the anti-graft agency, stressing that Tinubu’s intervention had addressed his concerns.

“What else do I want? I’ve instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well; he called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

The EFCC had imposed a Post No Debit restriction on a state government account as part of an investigation into the alleged mismanagement of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, intervention funds and Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) allocations.

The commission said the restriction became necessary following what it described as the “precipitate and unwarranted movement of funds” from the account into various corporate entities.

Adeleke had previously rejected the EFCC’s action, directing the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to challenge the restriction in court.

He had described the EFCC’s action as illegal and politically motivated.

However, following Tinubu’s intervention, the governor said he had instructed his legal team to discontinue the case.

On allegations that some of his supporters were still being held by the EFCC, Adeleke said his lawyers were engaging with the commission to resolve the matter.

“Well, we are… we’ve been talking, I’ve been calling all my lawyers to go there,” he said.

The governor also questioned the EFCC’s decision to invite some of his aides for questioning, particularly his spokesperson.

“Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson to EFCC. Is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant? So I told him, ‘Go,’” Adeleke said.

According to him, the aides honoured the invitations because they had nothing to hide.

Adeleke also dismissed speculation that he was considering a return to the All Progressives Congress (APC), despite his recent support for Tinubu’s bid for a second presidential term in 2027.

The governor further alleged that some individuals had been using Tinubu’s name in connection with the EFCC investigation without the President’s knowledge.

Adeleke’s comments came after he secured re-election in Saturday’s Osun governorship election, defeating the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji.

The governor polled 511,067 votes against Oyebamiji’s 444,815 votes, according to the results declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Originally published on www.thenigerianvoice.com


Share: